Martin went off back in 1997, but that doesn’t stop us from watching reruns over and over again. Here are 9 facts you probably didn’t know about the popular 90s sitcom.
1. Unlike most TV shows ,which were normally filmed on set in California, Martin was actually filmed in Detroit.
2. He played a total of nine characters: Mama Payne, Sheneneh, Jerome, Roscoe, Bob from marketing, Dragonfly Jones, Elroy Preston, King Beef, and Otis.
3. Gina performed the song, “Push,” in the “Variety Show” episode, which was Tisha Campbell’s actual single she released in 1993.
4. In the “Old School Loving” episode where Martin gets Gina fired, she decides she wants to redecorate their bedroom in pink and green because they’re the colors of her sorority, which means she is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
5. Actresses Tisha Campbell and Tichina Arnold had been working together long before Martin. The two were in the 1986 movie “Little Shop of Horrors” as part of the singing trio.
6. Speaking of movies, Martin Lawrence, Tisha Campbell, and Christopher “Kid” Reid were all in the hit House Party. That lead them to Kid appearing in the “Forever Sheneneh” episode, where he was matched up with Sheneneh from Martin’s radio show contest.
7. In the “Guard Your Grill” episode where Martin fought Tommy Hearns in a boxing match, Martin knew a thing or two about boxing despite getting his ass handed to him. As a teen, he was a Golden Gloves boxer.
8. R&B group Take 6 performed the theme song for seasons four and five.
9. In season five, there was turmoil on the set. Tisha Campbell sued Martin Lawrence and the show’s producers for sexual harrassment. It was settled and she agreed to complete filming, but she would not appear in any more scenes with Lawrence.
SEE MORE ON TUD:
Trending on The Urban Daily