Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams charged Madison Square Garden security staff members in a report Monday with “basically targeting” New York Knicks legend Charles Oakley before his arrest last week, reports New York Daily News.
From New York Daily News:
While reading from the report Monday outside the Knicks’ home arena, Adams said Oakley was singled out by a Garden security guard identified only as “Kori.”
“This is a high-profile VIP that sat in the most expensive seat in Madison Square Garden,” he [Adams] said. “They broke their protocol. Their protocols are broken. Oakley kept asking, ‘Why are you staring at me? Why are all of you standing around keep staring at me? I’m here to watch the game. Why are you blocking my view? Why am I being treated in this fashion?’ He was basically targeted by the time he sat down.”
Adams got involved in, he said, because this is a recurring issue in his life and that of others’. “Every time I fly first class, someone stops me to see my ticket over, , and over and over again,” Adams said. “It sends the wrong message to black boys and black leaders. Even when you sit in the most expensive seat in Madison Square Garden, you are treated in that manner. This would not have happened to Bill Bradley and Dave DeBusschere.”
Rev. Al Sharpton also called upon [Knicks Owner James] Dolan to lift the ban and reinstate Mr. Oakley’s privileges while Adams compared how Oakley was treated to the terrifyingly wrong and deadly way that NYPD officer used a chokehold on Eric Garner in 2014, reports Sports Illustrated.
SOURCE: New York Daily News, Sports Illustrated
It Was Written: NBA All-Stars Before The Glory (PHOTOS)
38 photos Launch gallery
1. Mid major splash: Steph Curry, 2008.
1 of 38
2. Chris Paul vs. Maryland Terrapins, 2004.
2 of 38
3. Damian Lillard (R), A1 since Day 1.
3 of 38
4. Pau Gasol training for the Athens Olympic Games in San Fernando, South Spain, 2004.
4 of 38
5. Pau Gasol congratulated by NBA Commissioner David Stern after being selected as the number three pick by the Atlanta Hawks in the 2001 NBA Draft.
5 of 38
6. Kyle Lowry during a game against Rutgers University Scarlet Knights, 2005.
6 of 38
7. John Wall celebrates during a game against the Louisville Cardinals at Rupp Arena, 2010.
7 of 38
8. Safe to say the Celtics regret passing on this one: Kobe Bryant Pre-Draft workout, 1996.
8 of 38
9. Kobe following The Big Aristotle, before the break-up, 1996.
9 of 38
10. DeMarcus Cousins in a pleasant conversation with Kentucky Coach John Calipari, 2009.
10 of 38
11. DeMarcus Cousins objects to a call during the 2009 Jordan Brand All-American Classic.
11 of 38
12. Jeff Teague yams against the Duke Blue Devils, 2008.
12 of 38
13. Skinny savage: Kevin Durant during his Montrose Christian High School days, 2005.
13 of 38
14. Cold-blooded KD demoralizes the Kansas Jayhawks and fans, 2007.
14 of 38
15. He’s been wet for a minute: Klay Thompson quiets the crowd at Kansas State, 2005.
15 of 38
16. James Harden makes Arizona State relevant again, 2009.
16 of 38
17. James Harden makes it hard to watch for Miami Heat fans, 2011. Four years later, 2015 MVP front runner.
17 of 38
18. The goatee is everything: Marc Gasol during the World Basketball Championships in Japan, 2006.
18 of 38
19. This shot probably went in? Russell Westbrook vs. USC Trojans, 2007.
19 of 38
20. Russell Westbrook demoralizing Yale, 2007.
20 of 38
21. Future All-Stars Al Horford & Joakim Noah during another title run, 2005.
21 of 38
22. LaMarcus Aldridge celebrates en route to defeating the Texas A&M Aggies in the Big 12 Men’s Basketball Tournament, 2006.
22 of 38
23. Greatest Power Forward in NBA history, 1995.
23 of 38
24. Chris Bosh with Georgia Tech, 2003.
24 of 38
25. The Chosen One, LeBron James.
25 of 38
26. Carmelo Anthony during the 2002 McDonald’s boys High School All America Game at Madison Square Garden.
26 of 38
27. Greatness manifested: Melo celebrates his team’s win over the Oklahoma Sooners during the NCAA Tournament in 2003.
27 of 38
28. Young Dirk Nowitzki during a German League game in Wurzburg, Germany, 1998.
28 of 38
29. Goofy Dirk at his parents’ house in Wurzburg, Germany, 1996.
29 of 38
30. One German legend to another, Detlef Schrempf vs. Dirk, 1999.
30 of 38
31. San Antonio Spurs legend Gregg Popovich being restrained by this year’s Eastern Conference All-Star team coach Mike Budenholzer after Pop received a technical foul, 2000.
31 of 38
32. Western Conference All-Star team Coach Steve Kerr during his championship run with the Bulls, 1998.
32 of 38
33. Dwyane Wade against University of Missouri during the NCAA Tournament, 2003.
33 of 38
34. Flash drives past Kansas Jayhawks player during the semifinal of the NCAA Tournament, 2003.
34 of 38
35. Kyrie Irving during the 2010 Jordan Brand classic.
35 of 38
36. A sign of things to come, Kyrie Irving, 2010.
36 of 38
37. Anthony Davis in the 2011 Jordan Brand All-American Classic.
37 of 38
38. Kentucky Wildcats head coach John Calipari motivating The Unibrow.
38 of 38